January 2, 2012

Rimjhim....


It was a hot summer afternoon. Rimjhim was sitting by the window. She looked out, but there were not many people in sight. Just a few ladies clothed in bare minimums. That was how it was even when she’d first stepped in.

Her thoughts went back to how life had been 2 years ago. Rimjhim was 7 when her mother passed away of cancer. With that, the only means of income had come to a standstill. Rimjhim’s mother would do odd jobs at various households and save each penny for Rimjhim’s education, while her father never contributed any money. He worked at a construction site and whatever he earned was spent in alcohol and paan. Her father was a good for nothing and just like all male chauvinists he would mercilessly beat her mother and her. Now that her mother was no more, Rimjhim was forced to leave her school and bore the atrocities of her father. Every night he’d whip her with his belt and bring in men to the house who would stare and ogle at her. The poor child never understood anything. How could she? She was just 7.

One night while she was asleep on the floor, she felt a hand sliding through her legs. Her dress was just above her thighs when she woke up with a start. She saw the hands. Those firm hands were her fathers. She couldn’t comprehend much, but he soon caressed her and felt her up, which made her very uncomfortable. She knew something was wrong and she let go. When her cries did not stop him, she caught hold of the vase and hit it on his head. And then she ran. Ran for her dear life.

It was the same night she met these women. They looked kind. Rimjhim told them her story which they listened to patiently. Then one of the ladies, picked her up, planted a kiss on her forehead and asked her to accompany them. They promised to take care of her and protect her from such evil. Rimjhim immediately warmed up to them, since the last time someone spoke to her thus was her mother.

When she reached the destination, she saw many ladies. Young and old. Dressed in shiny shimmery sari’s, low cut blouses, dark shades of lipstick and gajra on their head. She asked the lady if they were going for a wedding, to which the lady laughed and said- “No child, for us every day is a celebration. Soon you will be part of it too. “

She wasn’t suspicious. They’d provided her with food and shelter and warm clothes to wear. But one night, she saw it. At first, she wasn’t sure, but then things became crystal clear. This was no ordinary place, it was a brothel. Men swarmed in like bees and handed over money to the lady who had brought her here. These men would take in ladies to a room and all she could hear were frightening noises, but no one seemed to bother. I succumbed to fear.

Today while I was looking out the window, I saw a man. He was no ordinary guy. He wore a crisp white shirt and pants and had a gold chain around his neck. He’d been examining the girls and somehow didn’t seem very satisfied. And then he saw me, and I saw that evil glint in his eyes. Today I was dressed just like them.

Although it was a hot summer noon, I couldn't help but shiver. I realized I hadn’t been rescued, but trapped. I had no place to go and I couldn’t run.

This was my home now. This was my family. My life had been changed. Would I be saved? Would I be set free? I don’t know. Only time will tell. Till then I can only hope..

I hope my story has a better ending.

16 comments:

  1. Frightening and disturbing! How people take advantage of another, especially women and how we cannot trust anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story but really sad :( Hope things change for her :)

    Tay
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title of the post reminded me of rain :)

    Wow!! U have wonderfully highlighted a grim aspect of our society...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work CS... But i just dint get one part of it.. The narration changes so suddenly from second person in the beginning to first person towards the end.... That left me bit confused and assuming the I must have been rimjhim... Correct me if i am wrong..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting story,. I enjoyed reading and even gives us a lesson. Not to trust easily, there we're who are dress like a prophet but inside of them was a evil spirit. I hope Rimjhim can escape with those people, and it's not too late if she wanted too. Coz' God always love and accept those who wants to walk on a right path.

    Great post for this day! I love reading! :) Keep sharing CS!:) Have a blessed day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deepthi- Umm woman think they aren't weak. But they do succumb to such things :/

    @MSM- We can only hope!

    @Tay- thank you!

    @Aliza- Thanks dear. And this is something unheard of often, but is a grave reality of so many :D

    @Nick- You and AKila were the ones who asked. Hehe.. well I just wanted it to be in second person to give the readers a picture of this girl and moved to first person to emphasise on the point that this girl is none other than me. I guess it didn't come out too well. Next time I'll write better :)

    @Sagittarian- Rimjhim did not choose the wrong path. And honestly if she would refute, she could lose her life. No person can be entirely trusted right. Umm thank you. Glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confused soul ok I have tears because I can relate to the first sentences. I have been child abused bitten by my Mom and now I filed an annulment because my ex husband brutally physically abused me and my kids..I do understand what Rimjhim is going on through now and it is really so hard standing and surviving and moving on.

    huh this story is tough but it happens in real life Confused soul.. a great story for me ;)passing by *hugs* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OHMYGOD. :o

    Sigh. I'm still recovering from the fact that it happens you know. :/ Hmmmmm.

    I think we have a long way to go, in the world. So many things to change.

    You've expressed it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaarrrgggggh. That's a painful sigh. I don't know what to say. You had me feel the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some men do not deserve the title of being a FATHER...They are living devils!!
    God! I shuddered when I read this!!!
    kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sie- *HUGS*... you sure are a strong person. I'm sorry for what you've been through, but I'm glad your're over it. You deserve so much better love..

    I'm sorry I didn;t want to upset anyone with this post. And dear, you are special, I'm sorry! Thanks for reading :)

    @Sonshu-Oh yes it does! Quite sad, really! Thank you!

    @Zeba- thank you :)

    @RED- I agree. I know of such men who definitely do not make a good father. It's sad really! The things they do.. ughh.. but thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interestingly weaved..and i would say i think there should be a sequel to this one..
    You involved the reader nicely..*rimjhim* cute name..

    tc
    keep smiling always
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey are u planning to write a series of this coz its damn touching and i find it to be very good. And unfortunately its the truth

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehehe..confused soul..don't worry I am just sensitive and I easily cry hehehe..your story is great *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really was a bit scary. It gave me a chill down my spine thinking, that how the life of a 7 year old kid actually changed and was ruined by a fellow lady. No one is the world helps for selfless causes. There's a motive behind everything and every action. Loved it the way u described it..

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Alcina- Aah I don't know about the sequel.. Rimjhim was a name that came to my mind. In fact the only name. Maybe coz of the innocence. Thank you :)

    @Adi- Aaah long time... Undoubtedly a horrifying truth. I don't know if I'll write a series. Thanks :)

    @Sid- You're right. Thanks. Please blog! :)

    ReplyDelete