"Some of them walked proudly into adulthood - behind
them tableaux of Greek societies and proud pictures in yearbooks and a zeal for
being the head boys and girls in real life as well, which was after all another
class in high school, only making friends was tougher. Others walked slowly but
steadily, longing for the ties of marriage to hold them in place, entrusting
their pride in mortgages and babysitters and bonuses at work, and wearing t-shirts
every Saturday to feel young when they were pitching to their kids at the
neighborhood diamond. High school gossip gave way to the Residents Welfare
Association and it was the 90s over again.
Then came the misfits, prodded like cattle into
responsibility they didn't quite feel the need for, potheads and surfers and
people who dressed in grunge. They found it hard of course, but eventually they
found their way. Some gave up the leaf for Jesus, some gave it up for the
bottle, some never gave the bottle up at all, and some were given up by the
church. These are the ones we don't talk about; they are the used needles of
the great American heroin rush, ready for the next batch of incinerators.
And then I came in. More like woke up in this wasteland,
actually, with no memory of the past or the customs of this strange land. And I
did all I could. I watched these people and I wrote. That's all I can do, I'm
so far removed from these people that I'm a spectator, and I can report on the
game."
This journal entry was neat :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Keirthana :)
ReplyDelete