January 26, 2015

Please

Please be wrong.
Please be wrong enough to feel like you could be set right
Without frightening me, 'cause that way I'm kinda tight
Please be bright, like the milky way on a moonless night
Out there somewhere but not caring enough to be seen
Unless hours have been spent with open shutters and shut lights

Please be easy
To get to know, please flow when I ask your name
Because that way I'm low, I got no game
I'm a trailer hitching on you to carry forward the conversation
I'm a lost spaceship looking out for my space station

Please be hard
To understand, like an obscure band that I slowly find myself playing
Like a book that gets a prequel so we know better what the author was saying
And spend nights poring through with our shutters open under fluorescent milky ways
Like that, spending days getting to feel you on the inside, as space stations rotate and planets revolve
I want to still be knowing you when the leaves are gone and are reborn.
And still knowing when it's time for me to be gone.

Please be tough
When you need to, call my bluff, rough me up a bit if I need to stuff myself.
Please be tough because we walk a wasteland of snuffed dreams and streams of things that could have been, things seen with shut shutters on a million beds across the galaxy.
Please be tough when I tell you I can't go on, be like the guy that spots me and gets that last rep out,
You'll be something I can't do without, but don't tell me that.
Cause I'm broken that way and my earth is flat so if I walk across I don't get back
Instead I fall off and into whatever lies beneath but I've been getting up every time by the skin of my teeth and for once I'd like a hand to pick me up.

Please be light, like light upon the ocean, like a lifebuoy I can hang on to
And I'll be yours, always inflated, I've waited for years with my lifeguard training for the rain to wash someone like you away so I can dive right in and drown with you, in you.

Please read what I write
I'm not the brightest star in anyone's sky but I try with paper and ink to think about things that become thoughts I can't forget
And it won't always be about you, but it wouldn't be what it is without you
Like an ink drop in water you'll always shade whatever I write
It's very slight but it's there like the milky way.

Please try and hear what I'm trying to say,
Because I'm strange that way, I'd rather be writing than fighting a losing battle against vocalizations that evolve a thousand times before they reach your ears, unrecognizable, these unsurmisable constructs will have you in tears.
And I don't want that.
I don't always know what I want but I know what I don't.

Please don't. Please don't always know.
Because I love to set my sails to the wind and let it take me wherever,
And you can be my first mate, forever, and ever.
We can take turns steering and peering down into the ocean and back at the wake, we can break ourselves against rocks like waves and we can make like waves and lose ourselves.

Please find yourself.
I know you're not going to, because none of us is, but I do hope you keep trying, keep prying at this little puzzle box that is your delicate soul, your invincible soul and the hole that lies within, that we will try to fill in with whatever we find at the dollar store. There is no perfect score but we have oars and a sail, and we were never meant to fail, it's an abyss alright but we can be rails to each other, like two mountaineers together, forever.

Please, just exist, there's a list of things I'd like but I strike each one out because I could do without a million things but I've got it all down to the above. Please have love because I've looked into a million pictures of stars and I think that's what they're made of, or so I choose to believe, and one day we will leave for them without our carbon-based spaceships but I want to leave knowing that I found my home planet.
And it was you all along.


Please, don't be wrong.

6 comments:

  1. Please keep writing more stuff like this! Awesome piece, I just wish you write more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just really like to echo what Keirthana has said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have words to describe how beautiful this is. I read it three times. I have a list of posts from different bloggers which I read whenever I feel a bit down and this post just got added to that list. Thank you for writing this, I loved it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very delayed response, but these words mean so much. Thank you! :)

      Delete