February 8, 2015

"Dear Child"

Dear Child....

The worst thing your soul can do
Is to grow calluses
Is to grow harder, and not feel pain.
The worst thing your eyes saw through
Are sunglasses.
Blocking out the blinding light.
Blocking out what's inside.
The worst muscle that you could train
Is your heart, now strong and proud.
For I still remember how it bled.
And all that you were ready to do
To make it stop bleeding.
You said you'd tip the spinning earth.
You said you'd throw a million spanners in the works.
And your fingers, and your spine.
You said you'd put smiles on every last face.
Even if you forgot yours in the effort.
Now you turn away from the frowns.
Now you tell me that it was meant to be.
Now you tell me it's too hard to do.
Now guilt speaks softly on your brow.
But I saw it.
I always saw it coming.
I realized it would happen one day
On that fateful, fateful night.

When you first slept well.

6 comments:

  1. It took me to read it thrice. Every time a different perspective. I loved the lines


    The worst muscle that you could train
    Is your heart, now strong and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is the culprit. It changes everything. Well penned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really something Confused Soul!

    ReplyDelete