August 5, 2012

Love Marriage Ya Arranged Marriage?


Marriage is the union of two, or more individuals in a contract or agreement that binds them together (for as long as they wish) and gives each participant certain rights over the others involved.

Most of our perceptions of what marriage means has come primarily from two places; the first is of course the marriage of our own parents and how this marriage worked out. Also the happiness quotient of our Mom and Dad obviously makes the biggest impact on us as we grow up.

The second, in our case, is Bollywood. Since we're little kids, ideas of what a marriage should be, and why people get married are chucked at us by way of cheesy hindi movies.

In most of the films I saw while growing up, marriage seemed to be about the love between a boy and a girl (normally opposed by the inexplicably disgruntled and generally unreasonable families).
This opposition would result in the couple eloping, or raging a war of some kind against the 'zaalim duniya' in order to be together. The film would end with them running into each other's arms in the middle of a green field of wheat.

The film never bothered to show us what happened after they got married and the boy became a fat, lazy bum with a chronic television watching urge and the woman became cranky due to menopause.

I'm not saying that this is the fate of all couples; that would be too presumptuous of me. I'm just saying that no one bothered to tell us, or even asked us to think of how the two immature, hot-blooded, as yet unemployed boy and girl planned to sustain themselves.

The truth is that most marriages that take place have very little to do with the couple involved. This is because marriage (in our culture) is not between just two people; it is the union of two families. 


It is a legal contract with complex property, inheritance laws. In most cases it expects a woman to give up her maiden name and re-adapt her background, her family values.

Most people get married, so that they can make some babies (preferably boys) to carry on the family name and inherit their business empires or property. Or to make babies so there can be enough hands in the family to work in the fields.

Keeping these factors in mind, I can understand why parents arrange the marriages of their kids. It's because their priorities are very different from what the movies have told us marriage should be about.

My fundamental issue with arranged marriages is that they are fixed on the basis of caste/religion/community. These are the criteria that are considered while selecting a suitable partner for their kids. As I am personally against such discrimination, I cannot agree with the concept of an arranged marriage.

On the other hand, if two people decide that they are in love with each other enough to want to live together for the rest of their lives, it does not mean that they really will. I do not believe that it is possible to remain "in love" for such a long period of time. Although I do think that while living together, people develop a love for each other that becomes an important support system to them over the years.




People argue that although love marriages are based on mutual consent and history of togetherness, they do not last as long as arranged marriages do, because the divorce rate among love marriages is way higher.

But this may also indicate that people who come from backgrounds that advocate arranged marriages may also be forced to accommodate and accept a lot more than their liberal counter-parts. Such families may also be very anti-divorce, irrespective of how unhappy the couple may be together.

Over all, I think that both love marriage and arranged marriage are two sides of the same coin- Marriage. I believe, the only way a marriage can last through a lifetime, is by constant compromise and accommodation by both parties involved. If there is a balance in the power equation between the couple, it does not matter if it is a love or an arranged marriage. As long as the constitution of marriage remains important to the two, they will uphold it. 

Together Forever Till Death Do Us Part

But in order to achieve that essential balance, there should be a clear line of communication established between the two before they sign a contract.

:)

This post is an entry to the "LoveMarriage Ya Arranged Marriage" contest organized by Sony Entertainment Television and Indiblogger.

41 comments:

  1. I thinks it will remain a debate forever :P
    surely marriages are fancy dream
    nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you talked about both sides of the topic!
    I completely agree with what you said, there has to be a balance and in the end, it doesn't matter if it was a love/arranged marriage, the couple who communicates and compromises equally is more likely to last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the manner in which you brought in so many different factors into the picture while describing the differences and also balanced them out beautifully. Well done Shreya- Good luck for the contest.

    I cannot help but picture that funny cartoon of a person jumping down the well willingly in the case of a love marriage and a mob of people pushing him/her down the well in the case of an arranged marriage.

    Had fun reading this one.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the way you took into consideration every factor possible.. love marriage vs arranged marriage, is prehaps, a never ending debate :D That's the reason why, for the first time in life, I'm excited to watch a tv serial :P

    Btw, I'm against the influence of society,religions,customs etc on two individuals.. as far as arranged marriages in India are concerned.. I also fail to understand the reason why people spend lakhs and crores for a wedding!

    I had written a blog about the same.. THE BIG FAT INDIAN WEDDING
    bout the saga of arranged marriages in India, bout what an ideal marriage must be :D

    Hope you'll be able to relate :)

    http://soniabhatia.blogspot.in/2011/09/great-indian-wedding.html

    I'll be waiting for your feedback!

    Cheers !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does not appear as a link..
    coz comments here are in caps.. you'll have to copy paste i guess :)

    I really like your post! Good luck for the contest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey! I was wondering(before reading the post)that the upcoming serial must have triggered u to pen down a full fledged post.. got to know after reading the post..:D
    well about the post , u've covered each possible factor affecting the marriage involved..n i too second the fact that in the end it does not matter whether its a love/arranged marriage if there is a clear cut balance n communication b/w the two..
    All the best for the contest..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @The Dreamer- True that! It's like two sides of the same coin, butt he ultimate goal is to remain happy and in love :) Thank you! :)

    @PurpleMist- Aaah glad you like it :D .. Thank you! :)

    @AS- Oh yeah I remember the cartoon :P .. In a way it's true too :D .. But anyway I'm happy you liked this :) ..Thanks!

    P.s. where have you vanished to? Miss reading! :)

    @Sonia- Hahah yeah I'd like to know their take on the whole concept too :D ... And thanks forr eading this out! I'll sure go read yours :)

    @Sugar- I was going to write something about it and then well the contest came by, so I thought why not :) .. Thanks dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing entry. I totally followed the post. You make such a valid point about arranged ones being based on religion and caste. Best of luck for the contest!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made so much sense S! How? :P I keeed.
    I enjoyed reading through, you made a hell lot of sense when you talk about it not only being a union of two people but also their families and all that jazz, here in India.
    Good luck for ze contest ma'am!

    @Tales of her and by her.
    &
    @Teenage Babblings
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helloooo,

    You have such a cute space. And this is a mature write, so all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really loved the way you started with the description of Bollywoodish marriage..The humour and punches used are amazing.I agree with you on the point that no body should be forced to marry someone against his/her wish...My only point of contention in favour(And mind you, i am not in favour of Arrange marriage, but just thinking by stepping in someone else's shoe) is , what if the boy/girl doesnt really have a GF/BF to marry?
    Absolute opposition to arrange marriage is as bad as absolute opposition to love marriage by parents. What would be the differentiating factor between us and them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Abhi- Yayiee!! :D .. thanks a ton :)

    @Blahblaholic- Haha well finally I make sense..Proud :P .. hahaha thanks babe :D ♥

    @Ghazala- Aww thank you so much! :)

    @Abhishek- That's what I've been trying to state! The one's who are single have an option to either fall in love or maybe stick to what their parents think. Ultimately it's their choice, since they have to spend their lives with the partner. I don't know about the differentiating factor, but yes it's all about the choices we make. If we wish to plunge into something without knowing the person, it just proved you're willing to start something new and adjust. And if you're into a love marriage, it just states you really are ready to take this further. As I said, it's all about the choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. True said,really! I`m so fed up with all those fairy tales we were made to read and these mushy Indian movies -.- Marriage is such a beautiful bond..not just of two people,but of two entire families. Therefore I support arranged marriages. Ok,yeah you can meet the person before getting married,say yes if he`s really good and fall in love after the matrimony. Believe me,such marriages mostly turns out to be some major success.

    P.S: Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. you know, Marriage is something which must have love into it...and it doesn't matter that love comes before or after the marriage....

    All the best for the contest...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful post :) all the best! both spouses do need to compromise, and in equal measure... and yes, adequate communication before marriage is a must!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. an interesting read!

    http://www.counttofour.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like you said arranged marriage and love marriage are two sides of the same coin, Marriage.

    And good luck for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. There was so much to learn from this one..

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Aliza- Well both marriage's have their own sides to it. I've seen both successful and unsuccessful bits from people around me. So for me, it boils down to compatibility and constant compromise and lot of understanding. Thank you :)

    @Irfanuddin- Absolutely the idea I hold on to :D .. Thank you! :)

    @Ash- Communication sure is the key..Thanks dear :)

    @Count to four- Thank you! :)

    @Kiara- Firstly, may I say that I love your name. :D .. Next, thank you! :)

    @Zeba- That coming from a profound wirter like you, I feel honored. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I forgot to mention!

    I love the way your blog looks, it's super unique in all its aspects, and the writing is just as lovely!!! ☺ ☺ ☺

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice post :) though ds question olws remains a mystery bt i loved ur point of view :) :) god bless ya!! keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. great article.. good look for the contest!!

    http://styledestino.blogspot.com/
    (check out the Giveaway on my blog, its open worldwide)

    ReplyDelete
  23. well explained...
    :)
    these bollywood people have filled our minds with so much fairy tales...the life looks like a bed of roses...
    and then you realise the reality...

    as i have said in my post too, it doesn't matter how two people have tied their sacred knot...the only thing matters is how they hold it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. by the way,...i love ur blog's background image...
    its wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @SJ- Thank you so much :)

    @Jagriti- Exactly! The ultimate key to a successful marriage is balance, trust, love and communication. It's in the hands of the two people involved.

    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Two C's-Communication and Compromise are two main keys of marriage, very well written post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Sulekkha- That coming from a lovely writer as you, I'm honored. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely narration :)

    P.S: Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. That! Is exactly what happens in the marriages!

    This sentence that you wrote:- ''I believe, the only way a marriage can last through a lifetime, is by constant compromise and accommodation by both parties involved.'' is the sole formula for an everlasting marriage!

    A genuine and an interesting post. Loved it! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well narrated blog with pros and cons of both, Love and Arranged Marriage. You nailed it when you said, people marry so that they can have babies and that too boys so they can carry the empire and property, this is so damn true..:)

    All the Best for the contest and do let me know your honest feedback about my take on this topic...Cheers..:)

    http://pkperception.blogspot.in/2012/08/whether-love-or-arranged-it-doesnt.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Namrata- Hey thank you so much! And it was a pleasure to read you :)

    @Chirag- *happy dance* ... really glad you like it ... thanks for dropping by! :)

    @Prashanth- Thank you so much for your genuine comment! Hopping to your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Be it Love or Arranged, Marriage is like public
    toilet. Those outside, wish to get in ASAP, n those out... desperately wish to get in!

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. THIS HAS GOT TO BE ONE OF THE MOST HONEST POSTS ON THE SUBJECT. SMART ELUCIDATION, WITHOUT ACTUALLY TAKING ANY SIDE. LOVED READING IT

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Biswajeet- Well said boss...thanks :D

    @Nandana- Ohhh thank you so much.. You made my night :D .. twas really sweet of you and thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. nice post :) all the best!
    here look at this one when you get time :) and yeah do promote it on indiblogger if you like it :)

    http://saurabhchawla2345.blogspot.com/2012/08/love-is-arranged-by-god-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow!! That was a sweet, enlightening post (with your ususal dash of humour) !! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Saurabh- Thanks :)

    @Nirvana- awww thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. had a wonderful tym reading your post n all this discussion on it... this topic will remain a debate untill the sun burns out black hole..

    keep writing..all the best

    ReplyDelete