Sometimes, we cannot ignore the brutal, crass indecency of the society we live in.
It horrifies us and we're stunned to see the kind of atrocity we're capable of subjecting on other living beings.
And because we've been taught that it's good to be compassionate, we feel for the victim, fleetingly.
We're angered because we imagine what would happen if we were the victims, especially since that seems like such a plausible situation.
We see ourselves as helpless and alone.
Then we're angered. Only then.
When this anger and disgust fills us, we're full of rage.
We want something done.
So we talk about it passionately, we write and we tweet and we post and we protest on the streets.
We ask for justice.
We ask for a justice we're too scared to discuss.
When the discussion comes up of the repercussions of these crimes, we come up with suggestions that are more horrifying than the crime itself.
We're ready to assault another human being in unmentionable ways, we're ready to project on them all our suppressed anger.
How do we not stop to notice that our imaginations are even worse than that of the rapist in question.
These rapists are a part of us. They're part of our collective consciousness. They were born because we didn't try any better.
We didn't teach them any better and we weren't taught any better.
So we go through our busy lives, participating in every protest convenient for us to join. We sign petitions and attend awareness shows for about 45 minutes.
We do enough to feel satisfied. To quieten our anger. We masturbate.
The disease grows.
The disease grows because we're too ashamed to diagnose it.
We're too afraid to treat it.
We're lazy.
"We're living in a den of thieves, rummaging for answers in the pages.
We're living in a den of thieves, and it's contagious." ~ Regina Spektor
Sometimes I don't know if I love animals more or Humans.
ReplyDelete+To Me It Matters+
true that!
DeleteWow...this is an amazing post. It's all poetic, yet you make a really good point about how much action the average person really takes compared to what they think they do. Nice job!
ReplyDeletethanks a lot. Glad you like it :)
DeleteIt's the way we are. I don't think its a disease as such. A human being moves on. We are in the rapid current called life and you can only move along. We can all try changing courses, try to fight back but there's no escaping.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I loved your words. It touched (where it feels). I've been harboring some thoughts on the topic for sometime now. I should write. Good one pal :)
Thank you! :)
DeleteI thought on the same grounds and blogged about it the night before. Its our attitude, and because we didn't teach them any better and we weren't taught any better. I loved the blog, seriously :D
ReplyDelete--- http://maulikonpaper.wordpress.com/
Yes I read that. Strong post. :)
DeleteI totally agree with you; public of India only stands up when there is a crisis situation or else the same "chalta hai" attitude persists. If one has to bring a change it should start from one's own self and house.
ReplyDeleteright!
DeleteThis post sums it up, to the root cause of terror.As an aftermath of such disaster, these protests rise up, a disaster that could have avoided least the right actions were take at right time
ReplyDeleteWell I can't really say if it could be avoided. It's all in the mind. Like I feel, the monster resides there and not in a body part.. so anyway .. thanks :)
Delete"some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. " - Alfred Pennyworth ( The Dark Knight )
ReplyDeleteAaah makes so much sense!!
DeleteFirstly, welcome back! Great to read your post after such a long gap. Secondly, take a bow! Easy flow, strong topic and apt words, clearly one of your best! And you know, I was writing on the same topic too. Started day before. Let's see where I end up with that. Anyway, great job on this one :D
ReplyDeleteThanks! I missed blogging as well. Didn't have any topic for a comeback. Hehehe. But yes, now I shall write. Have so much to say. Well go ahead and finish your post. I'd like to read :)
DeleteWelcome back! Where were you ??
ReplyDeleteThis is an all in all post..sums up everything right from the scratch. The only we wake up is when something very drastic has happened and even after all that.
Nicely written.
Take Care
Hey.. I was right here, a bit caught up with college. But yes, I'm back :D
DeleteThanks :)
You said all that was on my mind and more :) I agree!
ReplyDeleteGlad!
DeleteRightly said - I read somewhere - "Its time that all men need to start behaving like an animals rather than a human"
ReplyDeleteAww thanks a ton! :)
ReplyDelete