August 14, 2014

R.I.P Robin Williams: An incredibly sad loss!

"But doctor, I am Pagliacci."


Heartbroken about Robin Williams. He was without a doubt one of the greatest comic minds and actors of our time. I do not know how I will get through Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting or the episodes of Whose Line featuring him now. Such a tragic end to someone who has put smiles on countless faces, and inspired many a slacker through his scene on the bench in Good Will Hunting (much of which was improvised). He entertained children and troops on the field and his Reddit AMA is one of the best I have read.

We will miss him and remember him, eulogize him and fondly watch his videos thirty years from now and tell the next generation of the genius they did not witness, but I hope we do not miss the warning signs in this tragedy about our attitudes towards mental health. 



From social stigma to lack of research funding to lack of insurance coverage, mental illness has been that one thing we absolutely refuse to talk about or heal. How many Ledgers and Williams and Curtises and Cobains and brothers and sisters are we willing to lose before we wake up to the fact that this needs to be worked out? Every conversation about depression descends into either condescension about one's willpower or a bullshit discussion about spirituality and other such ill-defined matters, without a single person treating it as the medical condition and epidemic that it is. From people torturing mentally ill persons in India to "exorcise" them to supposedly happy celebrities ending their lives, we need to wake the fuck up, and soon. 


This tragedy has already sparked some debate about the matter. While there is little solace in hoping for good to come out of a calamity, I'm sure John Keating would have liked us to continue with our pursuits even as he leaves in a departure not worthy of him. And he would have said as he left, "Carpe Diem."


5 comments:

  1. It's the hardest to come out with our fears but nevertheless one must do it when it starts turning inward. There are so many theories and so many helplines, however, if one doesn't take the step then the journey towards healing cannot start.

    I cannot fathom why one's karma could turn so hostile that they turn an enemy to their self. Whatever, the reason is, at least let him find the peace now for which he was so desperately searching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a such a huge loss to the world. I watched Dead poets society yesterday and cries. Yes, such was the power of this man. I'm on a Robin Williams movie spree and I'm simply amazed at how he effortlessly fits into his roles... One hour photo, which I saw yesterday was sheer brilliance. How he handles even the serious roles. Truly a King of acting. May his soul rest in peace at least now. Goodbye Captain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally grew up watching him..GENIE, JUMANGI, NIGHT AT A MUSEUM, DEAD POETS SOCIETY, PATCH ADAS, FREE WILLY :(
    His stand up comedy made me look at life with a smily face.
    I will miss this dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you'll. He was an amazing actor and person. May his soul RIP.

    ReplyDelete