December 25, 2011

Little Reminders


People can only see so much of each other.
And when you exceed that amount, you turn into the way we had become. 

I don't mean that we hated each other. But we had just stopped feeling, or remembering, rather. 
We could recall what it was like before. But we couldn't recall how it felt. 
And if we could, maybe we would've pretended like things are as they used to be. But we couldn't. Because we couldn't recall, how it felt, I mean. 

People can only see so much of each other. And then, they begin to grow sick. 
Before we exceeded that time, we couldn't stand being away from each other. 
And if you're in such a place and you have to stay away, you devise methods of reminding the other person that you love them. 

But we wouldn't write on post-its or send text messages. 
It was the way we'd leave things for each other, around the house. 
Some were out of habit. Some, on purpose but it didn't matter. 
Because everything was a reminder and everything was a memory. 
The toast always had a "heart" made out of jam. The newspaper crossword page was always opened. The favorite pair of shoes was always placed up front. The car seat was always adjusted for the other one. The new bottle caps were always loosened. The toothbrushes would always kiss.
This was our way. This is how we reminded each other. 


Some were out of habit. But, as I said, it didn't matter. 
Because everything was a reminder and everything was a memory. 

Before we exceeded our time, we had grown used to each other’s needs.
I always knew how he liked things. Everything. In detail. And vice versa.
He liked the blue pillow and I liked the red one. The fans shouldn't be left running; the switch should be off. He liked the futon, and I liked the green sofa chair. The shirts should be ironed and crisp. The cupboard shouldn’t be a mess. 
The blue coffee mug is off-bounds. The toothbrushes shouldn't kiss. 

We had learnt this about each other. And so the reminders reminded us simply of the other person. That they're there. Around. 
And things changed meaning.
People can only see so much of each other. Before they grow used to each other. 

Slowly, the new reminders were the only ones left. The toast didn't have a jam heart on it anymore. The car seat was left unadjusted. We tried to remember how things were before things got that way. But we couldn't. 
There was nothing left to remind us. 

Then, there came a time when we'd hardly speak. But we had to.
We had grown dependent. Work was divided. 
So we devised methods of reminding each other without saying things.
The reminders, this time, was for the work. Pending. Unfinished.
Like so many other things. 

The bank’s pass book would be kept on the table. A packed toaster to remind pending repair work. An unpaid bill on the refrigerator. 
And the reminders changed again. 

The last thing that I remember we spoke about was a truly insignificant and mundane issue. 
But it seemed like such a task. 
Not the issue- the talking after that. Things became silent.
We spoke, but we didn't. 

Because everything around us reminded us of a fight, of problems. 
The towel, the fans, the paint on the walls and the TV. 
Everything was a reminder of how badly we failed to resolve our issues. 
Everything described a fight. Everything told the truth. 


The quieter we got, the louder things got around us. After a while, it became deafening. 

We decided that we couldn't stay in such a loud environment.
We decided to leave. Each other. 

When people grow sick and leave, everything goes back to the way things were. After a while. 
After a while, a toothbrush is just a toothbrush. And a towel, just that. 
Now, it doesn't remind me of him. 

Soon, they will get new meanings. For me and for him. 

I still have reminders. Photographs, cards, the blue mug. 
The memories fade away but they don't leave you. 
You can still remember just as clearly as you could.
But you just can't remember how it felt. 

Whenever I am reminded of him, I think about how we met.
It took us quite a while to come close. 
But after being around each other for long, we did.
It was difficult for me to understand. 

And I think the way he put it is the way I’d like to describe it: 
I think, he said, we just stuck around for long enough.

19 comments:

  1. Perhaps, when the silence grew too loud, so loud that it was deafening, it was time to part ways, not with each other, but with issues.

    And let music play, that old tune. Time, it defines relations best when in distress.

    Wonderful post :)

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a strong feeling that its an extract from one of your life chapters. Life is all about experiences, mistakes, realities and dreams. Live it as it comes your way. We might have only one life. But remember that 1 life is enough to offer countless opportunities and chances to live repeatedly! :)
    Your writing definitely is par excellence.

    Respectfully,
    Your reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's indeed a walk across the bridge, a walk or a journey in life that made us weak and trying to bring us up again. What counts is we're learning from all what happened from the past, as a reminder and key to be more stronger in the future.

    Great post.. thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Shreya. One of the bests in the blog!! You brought out the feelings exactly spot on. The change. Some things just stay long enough that we forget its value and worth, and then it is too late. And i fell in love with the last line. Superb. Loved the collages as well. Loved the blue cup, the toothbrushes kissing each other. So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. **Because everything was a reminder and everything was a memory.
    Been there, done that! This post is a beautiful recollection for some of us ..
    You get better and better mann! This one is a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Blasphemous Aesthete- Yes but the music doesn't sound good anymore.. it's one filled with pain and sorrow, and it's best left unheard.

    Thank you! :)

    @Akila- Thank you so much! But the pain can be connected, nothing else... thank you love :)

    @Sagittarian- Thank you for sincerely commenting. And yes, we keep learning.

    @Writing Bee- Thank you love. It's true. When we have things/people around us we take it for granted, but when they leave, it's just painful to deal with. I took major time with the collages, but I'm glad you like the final result. :)

    @Crystal- Thank you so much! :)

    @Rach- thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My God.. This is so touching. So beautifully written. I loved it totally! And the pictures went with the writing!
    Sometimes, when people become very close, when they are together almost all the time, things do go wrong..
    This is something so relatable!
    You wrote it very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW! I could relate to so many things you addressed in this *wonderful* writing! I imagine everyone will be able to at some point in their lives. I could never have penned all of these 'things' as well as you have done here ~ fantastic images too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww this was sad :( But I liked it :) you really are an awesome writer :D

    Tay
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pact with emotion, this is soulful post my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sad and beautiful. If only this was fiction, I would be cheering for you. I hope that one day your writing will reflect your happiness. Don't be discouraged.
    Happy New Year. Do not refuse to be happy. ---
    Take it from a grandma, it is worth while to look for happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful post, you have expressed so wonderfully... so much truth in those words :) keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  13. @PhilO- aaah m glad you loved the collage.. i did i did! :D .. heheh... btw thank you! :)

    @Vagabond- thank you! :)

    @Fiona- ahh m glad you liked the pictures...that took up a lot of my time :) .. and I think everyone experiences such emotions at some point in their life.. I just had to put it across...thank you! :)

    @Tay- ummm I didn't mean to make you feel sad... buh thank you love :D

    @Munir- Yes, this is fiction and I'm glad you cheered :P .. heheh and happiness.. yes I'm happy and I'll write about it sometime.. thank you so much for dropping by here... Advance new year wishes to you too :D .. And I will definitely take that advice :)

    @Rajlakshmi- thank you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was painful..disheartening..and left kind of a patch on the heart.
    A person can't describe so accurately until they faced something like this.It's sometimes that we try to stay together even after we know that the things are falling apart and at the end when it breaks off we have to let go with silence and as you said a loud surrounding environment around us.
    Great write-up..A very beautiful blog!
    Afixxion Addixt

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a totally unique writing style. KUDOS.

    PS:- I changed my blog's url, so please un-follow and re-follow my blog so that my shitty posts keep on popping up in your Google reader.

    http://teenagemutiny.blogspot.com/

    Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am amazed how beautifully you wrote it down :) keep coming up with such stuff :)
    I loved reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Alcina- Awww such kind words...Thank you so much!! As for this post, trust me I haven't been through something like this, it's just a figment of my imagination merged with some real life events.. And sometimes silence turns deafening too..

    @HBL- Hahahah thnk you! And I'll do that ASAP :)

    @MSM- Heyyy...thank you so much! And it's been long since you've posted something right? Hope you're doiung fine :)

    @Sadaf- thank you! and I hope I cater to your needs :)

    ReplyDelete