"How long could she continue to not talk to you?” a friend asks me with sarcasm in his voice.
"A really long time", I reply, simply.
It's true. My mother can go for long periods of time giving me nothing but furtive glances and silence.
This is how she expresses anger, disapproval of my disobedient actions, and distaste for the way I live my life.
She's not particularly easy to please, but then neither am I.
And she interprets my refusal to agree and comply with her many inflexible notions of right and wrong as disregard for her value system and disrespect to her.
These days she is upset because I came home an hour late two nights ago.
I would think that I should be used to this sort of a situation by now, since I find it difficult to stick to curfews and every time I don't come home at the ridiculously early curfew set for me, the series of events that follow is the same.
Angry silence.
I watch her intently as she does everything in her power to ignore my presence.
She avoids being in the same room with me if there is no one else. I live in a small house; there are just two rooms, so I would like to impress upon you her skill in shuffling in and out of rooms without reason in order to ensure this.
She stares at things that would normally not hold her attention for more than a few seconds with intense concentration. Anything to distract herself.
I watch her hurting herself in the hope that seeing her hurt will hurt me enough to do what she wants me to.
Yes, this may seem like black-mail, and yes, it is.
But in her world, this is how things should be. And she will not have them any other way.
My mother is very easy to fall in love with. And very difficult to love.
Yes, she is old now. I was a late child and the indefinite time she has left with me, she spends in silence.
One night, during a previous spell of silent treatment, I woke up at an ungodly hour and crept closer to her in bed. Close enough to feel like I'm sleeping next to her, far enough for her to not notice me.
I had been awoken by a nightmare and suddenly felt the need to be with her.
She didn't speak to me, but at least I could blame it on the fact that she was fast asleep.
These days, on an average, the two of us waste at least three days a week in silence.
She, angry at my disobedience and me angry about how unreasonable I think her anger is.
Both thinking our own reason for anger to be more justified than the other’s.
So both of us don't try.
We avoid looking into the other's eyes.
If we bump into each other, we move two steps back each, incase our bodies make any contact at all and we are forced to acknowledge the other's presence.
We waste time. Precious, precious time.
And for what?


Well I guess it happens everywhere. And I certainly think little things like these makes us even more closer or atl east we're bound to after a few days.
ReplyDeleteNow, will you go and talk to her or SHOULD I SHOW YOU HOW IT IS TO BE A AMMACCHI in such a situation ??
Aaawwww this happens all the time. :) Its a part of the bond and it strengthens the bond in fact because you survive and overcome the distance :)
ReplyDeleteSilent treatment is indeed deadly, especially with ones you hold close to your heart. It ends up hurting both the parties in question.
ReplyDeleteTry to reason with her, maybe she doesn't see your side of the story clearly and soon enough I`m sure things are going to get sorted.
what do i say?
ReplyDeletewords like awesome and lovely look so worthless in-front of this post.
i don't want to leave a lengthy comment i just wanna say
T.O.U.C.H.E.D
ur love for ur mother was really benig displayed between the lines- a great post, touched me.
ReplyDeleteI CAN'T BELIEVE THIS...!!!!! YOU HAVE LOST IT OR WHAT ?? YOU ARE BLOGGING ABOUT IT ??
ReplyDeleteStop wasting time by writingabout it.. Instead go and talk to her..!! Pour your heart out to her than here...!! Dumbo... She is not talking so you won't talk too ?? What's wrong with you ?? Why are you acting so dumb ?? Btw Why ''exactly'' are you angry ?? Huh ?? Talk to her as soon as you are done reading this... Ask her why exactly is she angry.. Explain your stand.. Make some promises.. Throw some senti i-love-u-so-much-amma...!!! Give a hug.. Tel how I helped you realise your mistakes... Hehehehehehehehe :p:D:) po da.. Both of you are trying to hurt each other by hurting yourselves... Stop that.. Go sort it all out.. And come back and write how it all ended with a smile :):):)
WOW.. YOU ARE STILL READING...!!! :@ anyways.. Since you are reading.. You know na mothers are never angry about one thing...!!! its usually a lot of things inside.. They don't wan you to grow up.. Like ever.. Atleast with them... So.. Sort it all out..!! :):)
ReplyDeleteGO RIGHT NOW...!!
P.S. : congrats for 100 followers...!! Ahhooo.. Zara bat utao....! Jo sachin nahi kar paya... Woh tumne kar diya :):)
Aww! Happens to me as well! Even I tend to break the curfew! But it appears unreasonable at times! And then begins a series of glares and looks! :|
ReplyDeleteKoi ni! Bhool jao! give a tight hug! A badi waali jhappi! It'll be fine! <3 <3
first time here! you've got some serious fight here. Breaking the ice in a cold war/ silence between buddies is really tough to do. but it surely helps in the end. like the lucidity of thought while you express emotions. :)
ReplyDeleteA mother and a daaughter's relationship.. Even if it is silent, it is amazing :)
ReplyDeleteGo and tell your mother that she means a lot to you. Hold her hand, and trust me, you won't move away :)
Your words.. I couldn't and didn't want to stop reading. AMAZING! :)
@Vijay- Yes it does bring people closer, but the eerie silence is crazy!! I already spoke to her :)
ReplyDelete@Sonshu- ummm maybe :/
@AS- I think she'd never get my side.. She's got notions about everything.. I aint contradicting her thoughts but sometimesit's just different..
@Suvaiba- Well all I can do is.. :)
@Adi- thank you.. I'm glad you understand :)
@Prithvi- I had no other means to vent out so I blogged.. That's a kind of escape! Anyway , things are sorted now and well it's all fine.. thanks da :)
@Paanipuri Lover- Wahi kiya..jhappi pao types :D . and well it's good now :)
@Maverick- Welcome aboard! :D .. Well you're right, but it doesn't take me much to sort out stuff and well things are great.. thanks :)
I have this always!!! You should be lucky it is just thrice a week.. I used to have it like almost daily!! But now that she is with my dad far away and me at hostel, I miss her. More than words can express. And I have understood one thing.. No mother can be angry with her daughter!!
ReplyDelete@Deepthi- Aaah I know... I mean even if they are angry.. It's just momentary.. Honestly they are kids at hurt too.. Just need some love and attention ;)
ReplyDeleteCompletely! They would do anything to get that love and affection. Sometimes I love making my mom angry when I go around being all cooky cooky with other people ignoring her :P!!! But she is the best! I am sure all mothers are
ReplyDeleteLet's face it, sweety. No matter how much we crib about them, we just can't do without our moms. They're the best thing to happen to us.
ReplyDeleteI used to silent-treatment my mom a lot when I was still living at home. :/ I still do, sometimes, because she's a bit of a water-works expert. She doesn't yell or scream. She doesn't get angry either. She just doesn't have it in her to get angry. Instead, she gets upset and starts crying. And that's worse. :/ But I can't do without talking to her for even one day. I feel incomplete if I don't..
@deepthi- Oh yes I bet all mothers are :)
ReplyDelete@Spiff- Aww your Mom's such a sweet heart... A big hug to her from my side too :) .. And I do agree we won't last a day without our Mom.. The day just feels wasted :)