May 4, 2011

Dum Maro Dum- has some dum!


Okay so I finally watched the movie- Dum Maaro Dum and here’s what I have to say.


The film is set in exotic locales of Goa, and Goa is shown in a very different light from what we are used to seeing. Director Rohan Sippy has shown a realistic view of Goa unlike the fictitious view we get in past films. Goa’s underbelly is exposed, its drug trade, local life and sun-kissed atmosphere is thoroughly captured. Beach, beautiful women, booze and drugs they form the identity of Goa.



The movie is about a Police trying to clean up Goa from the clutches of local and international Mafias acting in various parts of Goa, ruling their various fiefdoms with the power of drug money. Abhishek Bachchan with ‘nothing to lose’ cop is the fearless cop, out to topple mafia lord Aditya Pancholi’s world. Prateik is the teenager with dreams,hope and love but caught in the mafia trap. Rana Daggubatti who has lost his ex-girlfriend Bipasha Basu to the greed and lure of drug money is initially a mute spectator to the sorry tale of the youth gone haywire. He later gets into the act along with ACP Kamath in the hunt for the master drug-pin Micheal Barbossa. Rana represents the Goa of today which has seen it all and continues to be seeing the same story unfold yet again and again. 

I’ve always felt Abhishek Bachan cannot act, but DMD, changed my mind. His character as ACP Vishnu Kamath lives up to his role but I felt there could have been a much better conclusion to his role in the end. Slightly disappointing to see him not focusing towards the end.


Telugu star Rana Daggubatti as the local Goan singer Joki, has a nice presence and easy on the eye to look but has stone-faced expressions throughout. He does have a nice role and by the end, he becomes the central figure of the story.  

Bipasha Basu as Zoe, the girl who takes the wrong path is okay and is almost a predictable act, but I still love her part in the movie. The chemistry between Rana and Bipasha was a treat.

Aditya Pancholi as the Mafia boss Biscuita lacks the punch to act as a ruthless villain.

Prateik Babbar as the teenager is good. The guy can act and with age, I’m sure he is going to get better. For now, he has done justice to his role, but he really needs to do something about his squeaky voice. :P

Vidya Balan’s special appearance as Abhishek Bachan’s wife, was really sweet. She emotes so well that I actually wished she played an important role in the movie.

Deepika Padukone in the much hyped and publicized ’Dum Maaro Dum’ remix song looks drugged out, which suits the look of the song.


Govind Namdeo and Muzzamil as cops are wonderful.


Technically the film is excellent and is very well shot and edited. The entire look of the film is superb and suits the mood and story of the film. The background score is catchy and the songs are nice. I loved the tracks ‘Jiye Kyun’ and ‘Te Amo’. I think they are just perfect. All in all, the film is smartly shot and some of the scenes are indeed dark but overall Goa is shown in a different light altogether. The concept and core idea is nice but script and screenplay goes wrong in the later portion and the ending doesn’t satisfy you completely with several loose ends. It could have been a huge bonfire in the making but leaves us only with lots of smoke.


Dum Maaro Dum is certainly a one-time watch.
I’d give it a 3.5/5. 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment