February 3, 2012

The Game They Won


As a child I was fond of reading about places that I dreamt of travelling to. 
Geography. I had this geography book, which was the only text book from my 5th grade in school that I still had. My parents could not afford to send me to school after that year.

But there was never enough space in a home as over-crowded as mine to spread out and just read. So I’d escape my daily chores and run away to the ‘maidan’ near my home and spread out there.

I was a quiet child. I liked to watch the game of cricket being played rather than play it myself. So I’d sit and watch my friends play their hearts out, run around out of happiness for the open, endless ground.

Then one day some rich looking people came and took over our ground to play a game of their own, the rules of which we didn’t understand.

They started laying restrictions on our usage of our own space. Soon, they wouldn’t let us in at all. 

I watched as a fence came up around the ground followed by a club attached to it.
And then I watched a very select number of people being allowed entry to the ground that was so very open.

I imagine what these people do inside that they can’t do in the open like my friends played cricket. They stole from me the only space in the world I had attachment to.
We were forced to move to the streets in our leisure hours. There wasn’t enough space to play and one day my brother got seriously injured in a car accident while fielding.

Now we just sit around, gambling and smoking our time away.

The game was over. They had won.

16 comments:

  1. When the only place a person has, is taken away, it's like the whole world coming crashing down. And how life changes.. Everybody dreams. I loved the piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh. I got all senti. Loved it! How wonderfully described. The way someone totally breaks down when all they have is taken. How people change with time. And how circumstances lead people to certain things. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. exquisite ! love the narration. what a pathetic tale. is there any continuation ? looking forward to it if there is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh grrrrrr..those people *showing fist*..I was smiling and felt your emotions..I am also a shy type of person in my real world though I have friends but I secluded myself from them because I lost trust on some..so my escape was sitting on our garden and reading books..so as I was reading my heart goes grrrrr..because some people are really just thinking about themselves..I hope your brother is ok sis..I always love going here I feel I am home..I have felt these things before..passing by ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sad! :( Why can't people share?
    Hope you find a new place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sad story! But extremely well narrated!

    I have a giveaway on my blog.. check it out if interested!
    Enter boticca.com giveaway, win $100
    ♥ www.thegirlatfirstavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. your posts peaks words of many a poor hearts..the best part is that you have used a child's voice to convey your thoughts..nice work

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was not a good thing to do. People are so mean these days and humanity is close to being extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @PhilO- Sometimes we realise that even that only place in the world wasn't ours. That hurts! Thank you :)

    @Sonshu- Thank you love. Glad you like it :D

    @IS- Well haven't thought of a sequel. You've seen the movie, let's not spoil it right? :) .. Hehehe thank you :)

    @Sie- This was fiction. Something out of real life, but completely imaginary. I wanted to bring out the emotions and with your lovely comment I think I did some justice. Thank yo for reading love :)

    @Sujana- First of all, welcome aboard :) .. Next, I hope I do :)

    @TGAFV- Thank you dear! I sure will check it out :)

    @The Madrasi- thank you :)

    @Red- That should never be done. Never ever. You're right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing post. U create a magic when you write which is fun. Love to read your post. The way you put your geography textbook truly amazing. U really give me new ideas to write . Had the same experience when our football ground was converted into a construction site. Thanks. My post is based on your previous post. Please check it out if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautifully written!! I enjoy reading every piece you post! :)

    I'd like you to visit my blog. You can follow if you like it :)
    The Butterfly Effect

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow..this was quite a find! :)

    Wonderful imagery with words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, this is amazingly written, and so sad :/

    I tagged you in something on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Humanity is extinct!! Really.

    Love the way you have put this into form. They took a beautiful form in my head.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Adi- awww thank you so much love :D .. I read your post and must say it's tasteful. :)

    @Jen- Thank you dear. :)

    @Phatichar- *bows down* .. thank you :)

    @PurpleMist-Thank you so much. I shall check your blog out :)

    @PhilO- If I come up with something, I will!

    @Soumya- Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete