Just when I
thought vacations were all about fun, going out, meeting old friends and
chilling, never did I realize with great joy comes great responsibility.
Well yes I’m
partially a Graduate, with the exception of receiving my PASS Certificate. And
I think I will pass. But with the end of the exams and beginning of vacation,
all that I hear day in & day out is- WHAT NEXT? Every Auntie, Uncle,
Neighbor, Security, Tom Dick & harry are asking me this.
Uhhhhh..Initially
I said MBA or Media. But after receiving my CAT and CET scores, MBA is WELL out
of the question. As for media, my interest lies there but again it’s not a
stable career or so my parents think (I can’t but somehow agree to that).
I
want to do PR and well honestly 10 years down the line, I know I can’t keep
doing that. Fresh faces, budding talent, opportunity to the youth blah blah.
That phase will come and well you can do nothing to stop it. I’ll have to quit.
Then what! Also I know if I do get married, my husband would want me to be at
home when he arrives, rather than enter when he’s fast asleep. In this age, both
the partners have to earn to make a living. I mean you can’t completely depend
on one person’s salary, you HAVE to earn. And PR won’t let me do that, unless I’m
extremely amazing at what I do and set up my own firm or something.
Again MBA in
Finance, now seems like a distant dream. For one, if I wish to pursue MBA, I
must do it from a good University or forego the idea. And the other option is -
Donation. Well I’m totally against that idea. I want to achieve on merit basis
and not feel indebted to anyone for what I achieve. Also both my parents being
retired, I don’t want to pressurize them. Amma says she’s ready to shell out
the cash if I really want to study (she’s such a darling!), but really is it
worth it? I don’t think so.
I know I
should’ve worked hard. I didn’t put the efforts and hence no result. Had I
studied, I most definitely would have ended up in a good institute rather than
stick to mediocre ones. Well no point crying over spilt milk.
I’ve decided
to put up my resume on job portals. But yet again, I’m not ready for work. I
know I can’t do a 9-5 desk job and even if I do, I wouldn't be content. But
doing a job, would give me some amount of security and stability. I’ll have a
steady income and know that in future, I’d retire when I HAVE TO retire. Phew! Whatever
happened to “do what you want to” or “what your heart says” line? In reality,
it never works. Or maybe, it just doesn't work for me. I can’t stay home for a
year doing nothing in the pretext of appearing for an MBA next year. Gosh I’m
so messed up! L .. All I do the entire day is
surf colleges, their eligibility criteria, fee structure, send mails and get
disappointed. I really let my parents down. And that feeling of helplessness
but outward courage and faith in my Amma’s eyes pinches me more.
God please
just help me out here! I really need your help. Guide me, show me the light.
Show me what I should do and make my decisions sound sane.
Till then
folks, please tell me what you think?
Don’t sympathize with me (if you have any
intentions to) coz here it is my fault. But yes, advice is welcome. And if you
know any colleges which accept people with a low score, I’m all ears :/ ..
Thanks for
hearing me out. Gosh I feel better!




I think you should just go ahead and do PR! You can never presume what will happen 10yrs down the line! And it today's time due to recession no job is safe so why not try your luck at something you will actually enjoy? :)
ReplyDeletehey,you know even I'm an almost graduate and that's the same thing i do these days but m already stuck up in Company secretaryship finals so MBA is out of question and moreover even i share the same story of low grades with lack of surplus money to flood in MBA.I think you should gain an experience for an year and then enroll in MBA or PR,You might get good colleges on the basis of experience and it counts.My cousin told me this..you can tell me your percentage and stream..i won't publish ur comment..i might help u coz m analysing myself. :)
ReplyDeleteWARNING - ADVICE AHEAD
ReplyDeleteIts refreshing to see that you've chosen PR over a run of the mill job.
Maybe you can work for a couple of years and then do a PR specific MBA program or a general MBA - with the work experience to back it, it would bode well for your career.
Good luck.
i can see myself in you...its 2001...i failed to get admission in engineering(computers) and am not interested to compromise on my specialization...i wasn't confused at all...i took a second chance...yes...one year seems a lot of time in academic career...but it pays off if you are committed...i cracked the entrance next year and got into computers...now i enjoy my job and career both...btw, i've got 6yrs experience and doing executive MBA from IIM-K...not really bad, is it? :)
ReplyDeletePS: 'Follow your heart' and other such quotes really hold good...any time in life!
I am the last person who should advice you but atleast I can wish you luck na :)
ReplyDeleteSo, all the best! I hope everything is sorted out asap :)
@All- thank you so much guys! This def means a lot.. it's always better when you get a bit of support from your friends..so thank you for being there :)
ReplyDeleteThe world is still your oyster, sweet...take a month or so's break n go job hunting...even an internship in a big PR house would do...then take up CAT or CET or whatever for an MBA in PR next year....work experience is worth its weight in gold when u apply for MBA in top colleges.
ReplyDeleteTrust me, your heart's always right...follow its directions!
If it says PR, then PR it is!
Wow! My CAT scores sucked big time too! :) But my MAT score was good! However,I'm just planning to get into an MBA course that I can do either on merit basis or management seat is 2.1 lakhs..What I feel is.. I think we ought to do what we can in our own capacity right now..Just coz we get into some mediocre college doesn't really mean we are going to regret with what we are going to do in life later on. Coz Some don't like studying but flourish work-wise! That is how my bro is and so am I ;)!!
ReplyDeleteSo go ahead...do what you like! ;)You will shine either ways! All about perspective...And for once stop listening to Aunties and Uncles and make a super plan of your own... Look at being practical only for yourself! :)
But yes,it is worrying sometimes...we are on the same boat! :'(
Chill
*Smile!*
I nominated you for an award! Do check!!! :)
ReplyDeleteYou know something? These are so similar to the thoughts running around in my head right now!! Anyway, I'll give you the best idea someone else gave me - work. Work for sometime, six months or a year or more, however long it takes and wherever it takes for you to clear your head and make a decision. And you earn your pocket money while you're thinking :)
ReplyDeleteHey, I think this is my first comment here though you have been on my reader for long. I will quickly tell you what I did.
ReplyDeleteI screwed up CAT, or rather it screwed me up. My instincts told me to take up a job and hell, I did. If you feel you wont do well in a job, give up the thought. That is it. Find out what you are good at, apply that skill and discover your job. For eg. if you like reading and finding new information, then market research is a career you can take. Like I did.If this sounds too complicated, let me know - I will make it simpler for you.
A job will allow you to see what others are doing.You will soon figure out what you want to do.
Last words - every one feels they should have worked a bit more harder. Truth - you will feel this way, even if you end up in IIM-B. So, just give up on the thought and feel good about yourself.
Hugs :)
Hi there Soul Sister! :D I've been drowning in guilt over my "casual attitude" to studies! I feel the exact same way. Being a topper all through school and then seeing the marks suddenly drop along with my parents' expectation was hard, initially. Now, I've kinda made my peace with it.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this might interest you.. But there's a German software - SAP. Its a 1 month course (& pretty expensive) but once you finish that, you'll be earning in lakhs! :) There's Marketing, Finance, Operations & so many other options.. I'm planning to do that while awaiting my results.
By the way, so what if you screwed up CAT... There's still GMAT! :D And if you get into a B-school abroad, you can take a student loan!
I am in Advertising. I joined right after graduation. So here is my advice. (I haven't read the above comments so I maybe repeating words)
ReplyDelete1. Media is not always about coming bk home very late. Initial years you will have to put in a lot of effort and so YES late nights are a done thing. But eventually as you grow in your area of expertise within Media (PR for example) your timings will be more regularised.
2. You need to figure out what you actually like doing within media. You may join a PR firm and realise that maybe you like Branding more. who knows! So get an internship in a PR firm. Do it for a month and observe your seniors to see if this is what you want to do.
3. Late nights and pressure at work exists in any industry you join today. So even if you decide to do an MBA in Finance and join a corporate, there will be days when you will HAVE to come after your husband comes home. Plus your husband (I am sure) will understand the pressures of a job as he will be working too. So relaaaax ! Don't think soooo far ahead. :)
4. I personally believe that one should only do a MBA post a couple of years of Work experience. Of course that is my personal opinion. I worked for two years and then decided to join XIC in Mumbai for a PG diploma. I intend to do a MBA only after 2 more years of working. Work ex opens up your mind and you learn how to apply what you are learning far better since you have experienced actual work place scenarios.
5. You have not let your parents down. CAT and CET are not easy things to crack. Yes maybe you could have worked harder but I think now you have a better idea on what to expect. You will be waaaaay better prepared next time.
6. Also lastly try applying to Symbiosis Institute of Communications for an MBA in Media and Communications next year. You need to give the SNAP for that. Post that you can do Marketing Communications in an MNC. Regulated timings (comparatively) and also a Media profile :) solves your issues!
Phew! I think I have written too much :P Incase you want to know more about anything at all regarding media send a mail - daydreaming.inc@gmail.com
THANK YOU all :D ..
ReplyDeleteI really am glad that you guys have showed support in every way possible. And YES I will take your suggestions and really think over it.
Thank you so much. Love you all :D ♥