This story
formed itself on three separate occasions and was finally written on a cool
breezy night. It became more special after I recited it to someone immediately
after its completion. Not very often do I get to read stories out but for the
one time I did, it sure feels good. This story for me is like winter. Cold,
numb fingers and dull aches, but some warmth inside, and just about enough. I
hope you like it :)
"Do ghosts live on Peepul trees?" I ask, peering across the terrace into the hazy silhouette of a clump of trees far away. The winter sun trying its best to warm my bones against the chilly wind that plays with my messy hair. "Ghosts and Gods both," says my aunt knowingly as she pours me yet another cup of strong, milky tea. A mug, rather. I warm my numb fingers on it. I am cold. I'm in a village for all practical purposes. My phone does not work here, buffaloes sit lazily basking in the faded sun, children quarrel over a game of marbles, and a twenty-two-year-old misfit sips tea sitting on a cot.
"Do ghosts live on Peepul trees?" I ask, peering across the terrace into the hazy silhouette of a clump of trees far away. The winter sun trying its best to warm my bones against the chilly wind that plays with my messy hair. "Ghosts and Gods both," says my aunt knowingly as she pours me yet another cup of strong, milky tea. A mug, rather. I warm my numb fingers on it. I am cold. I'm in a village for all practical purposes. My phone does not work here, buffaloes sit lazily basking in the faded sun, children quarrel over a game of marbles, and a twenty-two-year-old misfit sips tea sitting on a cot.
Needless to
say, this is not my natural habitat. For one, I can see the sky in all its
sprawling, blue glory. Two birds skip off the draft and dive one after the
other to swoop onto some unknowing prey. Somewhere, a rooster crows, which is
quite odd for two o clock in the afternoon. Also odd for this time of the day
is the cold that seeps through to my bones. I tell my aunt about life in the
city. She listens wide-eyed. She cannot fathom the coldness of it all, the
steel and glass prison that I work in, the dreadful fact that I know exactly
how each day is going to be. She does not understand how free I feel here
without my cell phone chaining me like an invisible umbilical cord, how clear
the air here is without a thousand conversations riding the airwaves form tower
to tower. All is well in my world though, as she pours me yet another cup of
tea. I smile. Family.
As the clock
strikes four, children start pouring into the terrace. My cousin sister is the neighborhood teacher, a prestigious title earned through
months of reading aloud the alphabet, teaching children to dot their i's and
cross their t's and much red ink spread over her soft palms. The children eye
me suspiciously. After a while they decide I'm no threat and a couple of them
greet me. "Good Morning, Ma'am!" they say in that sing song chorus I
used to be a part of, long back. I smile again.
This class is
quite different from any I have seen. The children, aging from five to ten, do
not sit still. They laugh and cry freely. They sing their lessons. Some are
struggling to hold pencils while some are proud to be old enough to wield pens,
prized possessions no doubt for those little fingers. It is, in a way, like an
overgrown garden. Disordered and chaotic but oh, so beautiful.
One little boy
stands out, though. There's something strange about him even in this scene
which is none too familiar to me. He takes and exceptionally long time to
write. I kneel next to him and peer into his notebook, bound with thread. All
the words are misspelled, the letters are fractured, misshapen little creatures,
and the boy's face is a mixture of confusion and terror.
![]() |
| www.robonwriting.com; wikipedia.com |
I look at my sister
with concern. She nods silently and tells the class to write numerals to a
hundred. She walks over to me and looks into his book. Then she looks at me,
her eyes full of exasperation and silent despair. "There's something wrong
with him," she says, the winter haze making its way into her voice.
"He's just slow to learn. He's not too rich. His father was supposed to
come see me today." She looks at him with sadness. He merely smiles as he
squints into the sun. "Take care of him will you?" she says and
leaves me with him.
I am now a
helpless subject of the boy's scrutiny. He squints at my face, the winter sun
giving me a halo. I try to smile, but it falters. This will not go well, I
think. I need something to say, to engage his mind, so much more free than
mine. "Do you like aeroplanes?" I ask him , finding my savior in a flash
of supposed brilliance. "Planes." He says after a couple of seconds
of incomprehension, his face lighting up. "Planes!" He says again,
his hands tracing a flight path, cutting through the cold air. "Let's make
one!" I say with poorly disguised relief and I tear out two pages from his
notebook and give him one. I make the first folds quickly, my fingers using
their own memory saved from eons ago when I used to fly. He sits there
confused, his fingers not grasping the movements, ever so slightly out of his
control. I repeat slowly. He follows this time. He laughs clearly as he does
and the air is warmer, if only by a fraction.
As his small
hands struggle to give life to the piece of paper, I see him deep in penance,
wanting nothing more to bend the paper and his own limbs to his will. Ages pass
by with me lost in the slow dance his fingers play with the paper, becoming
more and more refined until he makes the final fold with all the grace of a
finishing pirouette. As we walk to the boundary I silently pray that it flies
well, to some unknown tree-dwelling deity, lord of planes and the winter wind.
The child
blows into the paper plane in a ritual he is sure will lend it magical wings,
and jumps slightly as he releases it into the vast, cold expanse of air.
![]() |
| www.poweruptoys.com |
And it flies
majestically, circling us and riding a draft into a slow dive reminiscent of
the two birds, then stalling, then diving again and continuing its graceful
pirouette as the boy's wide eyes follow it in flight, even as he dives and
stalls with the plane, no longer bound by his form, and having lived its short
life with the grace of a dying star, the plane lands on a buffalo sitting some
distance away. The animal merely grunts and goes promptly back to chewing its
cud, a business more important than all the machinations of this world.
I look at him.
He is laughing. He is in fits. "You did well," is all I can muster. I
ruffle his hair gleaming brown in the sun, and he nods with twinkling eyes. I
turn around to see an old man, whose eyes tell me he is the father. "He
did well." I say weakly to him. He merely nods, other gestures being
foreign to him. He picks the child up into his arms, never too weak for his
son. Then he looks at me with a smile and moist eyes. I cannot look away. They
are too deep for me to swim away.
![]() |
| www.melikamm.blogfa.com |
My mind goes
back five years when I had returned with my examination results to my father.
"You could have done better," was all he had said. I remember sitting
there under the same sun with the result sheet in my hand, a piece of paper
that would never, ever fly.
I look at the
child and his father again. It's not cold anymore.
The wind stands still as if
in respect, and for a moment the sun shines brighter.
Then it hits
me.
The boy isn't
broken.
I am.
I walk away
silently and gaze across the open fields into infinity until my eyes are moist.
Perhaps it is
just the cold wind.
Perhaps.



well written :)
ReplyDeleteThanks :)
DeleteBeautiful this was. Sometimes the fault is not in others but in our own little perception. I loved it babe. If you are on facebook, do check my facebook page. Sharing your blog there :)
ReplyDeleteAww that was really sweet of you!
DeleteThanks much love :)
Wow. This is truly beautiful.
ReplyDeleteGlad you like it!
DeleteThanks for visiting Diptee :)
Lovely , came via Red Handed. this made my heart all warm and fuzzy too
ReplyDeleteToo true how perception can change things and life
hope the boy does well everytime :)
I'm sure the boy will do well.. if he just finds the right person who'd hold his hand and believe..
DeleteThanks :)
The story was amazingly written and expressed :)
ReplyDeleteI love it :)
Keep writing,your work is just tremendous <3
Thank you very much Palak :)
DeleteWow! That makes me feel good (not the tears!) .. that my writing touched someone so deeply. Honored!
ReplyDelete*Hugs* :)
Speechless after reading this one, Love. Beautiful. You have captured so many emotions with your words. Powerful story.
ReplyDeleteThanks A :)
DeleteI missed writing!
ReplyDeleteAnd I missed you too MSM :)
This is such a beautifully written article.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to read more articles like this.
Glad you like it Aditi.. Thanks :)
DeleteBeautiful and Powerful :)
ReplyDeleteThanks :)
Delete