So it’s
Onam today and though I don’t see it celebrated with the same vigor, that would
have been, if I were in Kerala, it is still a heart-warming feeling to be with
loved ones and celebrate this festival… At my place, we don’t really celebrate
Onam but Mom does make a few delicacies for the sadya and how can I forget the amazing payasam (kheer)… While typing this, my Mom’s actually working in the
kitchen for the HUGE lunch and dessert, while I watch movies :P … haaah… So to
those who don’t know much about Onam, let me introduce you to the BIGGEST
festival celebrated by the Malayali crowd…
Onam is the biggest festival of Kerala. It reflects the faith of the people
of Kerala. A belief in their legendary past, religion and power of
worship. It shows the high spirit of the people who go out of the way to
celebrate the festival in the prescribed manner and a grand fashion. Story
goes that during the reign of mighty Asura (demon) king, Mahabali, Kerala witnessed
its golden era. Everybody in the state was happy and prosperous and king was
highly regarded by his subjects. Apart from all his virtues, Mahabali had one
shortcoming. He was egoistic. This weakness in Mahabali's character was
utilized by Gods to bring an end to his reign as they felt challenged by
Mahabali's growing popularity. However, for all the good deed done by Mahabali,
God granted him a boon that he could annually visit his people with whom he was
so attached.
It is this visit of Mahabali that is celebrated as Onam every year. People make all efforts to celebrate the festival in a grand way and impress upon their dear King that they are happy and wish him well. The most impressive part of Onam celebration is the grand feast called Onasadya, prepared on Thiruonam. It is a nine course meal consisting of 11 to 13 essential dishes. Onasadya is served on banana leaves and people sit on a mat laid on the floor to have the meal.
It is this visit of Mahabali that is celebrated as Onam every year. People make all efforts to celebrate the festival in a grand way and impress upon their dear King that they are happy and wish him well. The most impressive part of Onam celebration is the grand feast called Onasadya, prepared on Thiruonam. It is a nine course meal consisting of 11 to 13 essential dishes. Onasadya is served on banana leaves and people sit on a mat laid on the floor to have the meal.
![]() |
| Sadhya |
Another enchanting feature of Onam is the Vallamkalli- the Snake Boat Race, held on the river Pampa. It is a colorful sight to watch the decorated boat oared by hundreds of boatmen amidst chanting of songs and cheering by spectators.
![]() |
| Vallamkalli |
My favorite part is the Pookallam, where people make a
rangoli with flowers outside their house, inviting Mahabali…. It’s so
beautiful!
![]() |
| Pookallam |
So yeah
that’s about Onam .. Oh and I’m so happy…. For the FIRST TIME, our college gave
us a holiday… Aah it feels awesome man.. So yeah HAPPY ONAM to everyone and my
mallu friends… HRUDAYAM NARANJU ONASHAMSAKAL!!
:)



ah...happy onam to you.... nice to know about this festival... thanks for sharing...and i need to taste that kheer too :)
ReplyDeleteWell put:)
ReplyDeleteOnly thing you missed out on was the booze Keralites are famous for:P
Happy Onam:)!!
happpy shappy cute onam :)) enjoy...!! and that pic which has food served on the banana leaf is making me CRAZY...! i wanna have it too...! :((
ReplyDeletemail me some . :P
and i L O V E south indian food..! aaahhh..! its so cool..!
Happy Onam to you :)
ReplyDeleteThe Rangoli's picture is beautiful!
I would love to see the boat race someday :)
@Muahmmad Israr- thanks for reading..and yeah next time I'll send it across :P ..
ReplyDelete@peevee- shoot I forgot that,,haha thanks for mentioning ;) ... Happy Onam to you too :)
@Suvaiba- I love north indian food...tired of the southie stuff...heheh...Aww I'll mail. :D
@PhilO- Thanks and wish you the same! Oh you should see it, it's fun :)
I didn't know the story behind Onam; thanks for sharing that! I wish I were in kerala to see that snake-boat!!
ReplyDeleteAnyways, HAPPY ONAM!!!
happy onam to yu too
ReplyDeletea lovely blog <3
ReplyDeleteThe food looks reallllly yummm!! I'm hungry now!
ReplyDeleteAnd i've always wanted to see a boat race in Kerala.. I wish i get to visit Kerala soonnn..
The pookalam looks beaauuutiful!! I wish we had cut the flowers neatly too instead of jus pulling out the petals.. Loved knowing the story behind Onam.. :)
@Aquib- thanks...and yes, the boat-race is a must watch! :)
ReplyDelete@nikhi- tHANK YOU! :)
@Iffi- awww sweet...thanks :)
@Viya- Oh I hope you do get to see that race...Pookallam is not from my place love...just an image... :)
Happy to you :D xx
ReplyDelete@aman- you missed the ONAM :P .. hehe thanks :D
ReplyDeleteA very happy Onam to you too Sweetheart! :)
ReplyDeleteLove, Risha :)
Happy Onam x)
ReplyDeletePookallam is beautiful too
aJ
@Risha & aakash- Thanks & belated wishes to you too :)
ReplyDeletelate but it s still Onam season here
ReplyDeleteso Happy Onam :)
thanks deeps :)
ReplyDelete