September 21, 2011

Woes Of An Auto Rickshaw Passenger


I'm rich. I travel by auto rickshaws." 
- Auto rickshaw passenger to a Mercedes owner

The above joke has been doing the rounds for a while now, and somehow it seems like nothing short of reality. Being a resident of Navi Mumbai can be a tough job. Though people call it- the developed city (I’m not arguing against it), there’s way more scope for development. There has been a lot of debate about the rising auto rickshaw prices, but looks like no one’s paying any attention to it. Paying Rupees 65 for a 10-minute drive to college has literally got my wallet empty. You’d ask me to take the bus or the train, but is that a solution? The frequency of buses here are pathetic and I can’t afford to get late to college. And a train ride for a 10 minute journey, which makes it a half an hour journey, which includes walking up to the station, waiting for the train, and then walking up to college, doesn’t make much sense to me. Therefore, the only feasible option is the rickshaws.

In Mumbai where they charge as per the meter for travelling from Santacruz to Bandra or Wadala, our dear auto wala’s here ask for a whopping 20 to 30 rupees extra from what the meter reads. Now is that even fair? Normally if we follow the meter fare, the ride from Vashi to Nerul shouldn’t cost me anything above 40, but I’m compelled to pay at least 65 to 70 bucks. The scene almost looks like that with a vegetable vendor, where we try and bargain the prices and then agree with them, because we are the ones in need.

Another instance being the minimum fair being increased to Rupees 14 in Navi Mumbai, where it is only Rupees 11 in Mumbai. The reason stated was that most auto’s are running on petrol, but if you take a close look, we see that most are actually running on CNG. So aren’t they making extra profit at the cost of the hard-earned money of the citizens? But then again, I feel relieved that I don’t stay in Khargarh or Panvel, where the auto fare’s seem to be rising at an exorbitant level. The minimum charges there amount to Rupees Twenty. That’s a perfect SCORE! I don’t understand what it is with these autowala’s and why aren’t people speaking out against it?

Commuting in the rickshaw’s has equaled what we’d pay for a meal in a good restaurant. This has to STOP and people need to raise their voice against such issues. It’s time they realize, that if they encourage the unreasonable prices, the auto wala’s are going to continue quoting such rates. Also the Government needs to address these issues and help the citizens.

Otherwise, it wouldn’t be long before you think of driving an auto to earn those big bucks!


************

This problem has been prevailing for quite some time, and I thought it needs to be addressed. Hence, I've sent the article over to Hindustan Times. Well I did receive a positive response from them. Let's see!

:)

5 comments:

  1. ahh....looks like this problem is same here...rikshaw wala here dont charge by the meter but one bargains with them and when reach the destination, the rikshaw wala will start complaining that how much cng and petrol prices increase and the distance was much more than he expected (like the roads from point a to point b somehow increased without him knowing) ...so he will ask for extra money .... yes something should be done..there should be a uniform transport policy and pricing...but i guess that will never happen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! i never knew it... well here is 15 minimum.. bearable... you are right we need to get the govt attention on this issue

    n all the best with the Hindustan Times ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your post. What you describe your city is just similar to mine, perhaps it's the same thing in all asian cities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think i'll just buy a cycle instead.. its such a pain to pay for the fuel for bike and the bloody ricks who drive like maniacs and charge exorbitantly!!!
    here tho, minimum is 17 and half the time "change nahi hai madam".. so there goes ur 3 bucks if u give them a 20 rupee note! and don't even get me started on the tampered meters!..
    and every time these people hold a strike for "hike is minimum fare", the govt. just gives in to their whims and fancies! and the losers who support them saying "they have families too.. they need to make a living too".. Mr.govt. dude! try travelling in an auto everyday.. you'll know! and if you even suggest "Take a bus", you do that first and let us know how you reached your so-called workplace in "time"! (do u even know that word exists btw?! )...

    Phew... man! sorry shrey! somehow had to vent out the rick ka frustration out! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ashwini- Aaah change...We can ONLY hope!

    @Israr- oh yeah they do it here too...cribbing till you give in..sucks actually! :x

    @Niya- thank you sweetheart :)

    @Linux and Life- Is it? Then govt surely HAS to do something man!

    @Viya- Hahhaha you want to know a secret *I can't ride a cycle* :( :P .. really, so I don't have that option..lol.. Now I feel pathetic seeing that it's 17 there..Gosh that;s too much yaar... And that "change nahi hai" happens almost everytime..They'll take more, but never a penny less..stupid people... Venting is okay... I do it all the time.. hehhe :D

    ReplyDelete