October 17, 2011

Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight

The beauty of children lies in the fact that they know nothing of the world.

When I was born I had no thoughts, only feelings of being hungry or sleepy. 
And if not those, then of love.
As I grew, I began to make memories, accumulating knowledge and information about various things. Various prejudices. 

And with this, I started loving less number of people. 
From loving anyone who held me and played with me, I started recognizing the strangers- not to be trusted or spoken to. 

I was taught that some people are different from me and therefore deserve no or less love. I can play with them and be friends, but they are different from me. I must never forget the line between them and us. 

I kept learning, everything that my surroundings taught me. 
I went to school and was told that I must keep my hair tied neatly and my clothes clean, if I wanted to be good. 
I must study when the bell rings and stop only after the bell rings again. 

And the more I learnt about the world, the more I forgot to be a child. 
When I would walk on the streets with my parents or wait in the queue at the station to get a train ticket, I'd watch kids no taller than me sitting on the floor in rags. Some begging, some playing with each other on their mom's lap as she begged for change.   

I'd watch as my parents turned their eyes away, ignoring them. I wondered then, how is it that they can look away from someone who is so small and so hungry? 

I'd beg my parents to give them the change, but I was told to not encourage begging. Begging is a bad thing.

And so I learnt that begging was a bad thing and people who beg are too lazy to work and earn a living for themselves. It is sad that kids have to do it too, but the situation is helpless. What can we do?

I have now mastered the art of ignoring moaning, crying, dirt-covered fellow human beings lining the streets of my city. I'm really good at it, if I may say so myself. 


When they tell me that they haven't eaten in days, my stomach doesn't turn over anymore. 
When they show me their infant babies clinging to their flat, shriveled chests and beg for mercy, my heart doesn't cry anymore. 
I'm used to it. There are millions of people in the world starving and dying. Is it my responsibility to care for all of them? 

And if I have to do that, who will take responsibility to complete my assignment for tomorrow? No, I must concentrate on what is important; my education, my job. 

In the world that we inhabit today, growing up is every person's greatest defense mechanism. If we all could feel like children, be as receptive, as compassionate and concerned as them, we would be the most miserable race on the planet. Because then, we would actually have to do something to counter the damage we're causing to the world by ignoring the misery around us. By doing nothing.

If our country was run by children instead of educated/experienced adults, the people in charge would never think of Pakistan as a bigger issue than starvation, or the land of Kashmir as more important than the people of Kashmir.

If we left the reigns of the country in the hands of children, they would choose to spend money on healthcare rather than developing nuclear weapons.

If children taught adults in schools, we'd have institutions where we would learn to laugh and play harmless games and love and be happy instead of tying ourselves down with rules and standards and discipline.

Sometimes I wish I could unlearn everything that I know, un-see everything that I've recently seen on the news channels. 

Sometimes I wish I had the memory of a gold fish, so that I never remembered terror attacks from the past and every time a bomb blasts another 18 people to pieces, I feel the pain like it's new, like I did the first time. 

I wish I could never stop being shocked by the brutality of men on men. I wish I could never grow up. 

:/

16 comments:

  1. How true.
    How innocent.
    How lovely.
    Brilliant post. Girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Innocence stolen right from the crib, nothing else.
    I feel too strongly about this to comment any more, maybe I'll do a post some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first photo is heart wrenching. And so are your words. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the way the issue is addressed here.. makes one think..!! nicely written da. the dark side of growing up.. we now care less/ no more :|

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mind filling, just wonderful to the core!! Words definitely would not explain how I feel after reading this post

    ReplyDelete
  6. so honest and true... but needless to say as i was reading... and more wanting to read... i cud easily ignore the pics... and have no feeling while going through them... it was then when i chose to pay it a little more attention that i saw a kid with a crying baby but it still didnt bring the feeling of pain ... may be cuz i cannot now recognize between a movie and reality...

    i cry more tears watching a movie... then watching someone in pain in the real setting... and i wonder what i have become...

    i have no idea...how to control this... but if i am adding a bit of bad... in this whole place i can not even think to stop that let alone... stop others from doing it...


    helpless i am in changing myself then to think changing thousands around me...

    if more ppl can concern themselves more on their own selves and products... we wudnt rreally see so much dirt around me...

    but its not the case... when u are ready to mate and bring out children... but not rreally bothered wat u r going to provide for them... this is the after math...

    everytime i think marriage... one question coems in my mind... wat will i give to my child... or children...

    i know they will get enuf to eat... for God has promised livelihood... but will i be able to give them the faith which will enusre they are as good as i am or better... but never less... and when i cant say yes to that answer i choose not to enter a wedlock...

    and instead try to improve my faith...

    how many of ppl around me... do that before sleeping with a man and bearing his kid...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are this profound then you do not need to grow up. I loved your take on Kashmir and other social feeds. Grabbing the posts feed for google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. some hours back a kid almost naked came to me for alms. Out of pity i gave him, but as soon as he left, 3 others sprang out of nowhere. Now the problem is even i have stopped showing pity towards these little ones. I dont know because there is always a possibility that someone else is getting the money thru them. They are just mere accessories!

    This post was worthy of Tangy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are extremely good at making small and simple sentences deep and meaningful! Its an art shreya! KEEP IT UP! I got a wee bit touched! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy looooong time
    i missed so much...

    mmmmmm firstly HAPPPY BUDDDAAY and i hope ur vrath gets divine acceptance up above ..! :))
    the post is tooo emotional to be penned down in words
    so i am shedding a tear (,,) and that is what it meant to me and the para about the bomb blast is more than so much ...!
    that alone can make for a post...! :)
    congratulations for the tangy Tuesday pick.. and i am back on blogging...! :) exams over
    yes i wanted to ask something - like you have written "10 shots of vodka"...!i mean minus the no.... so how do you frame it
    plz lemme knw
    and tc..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sonshu- thank you! :)

    @PeeVee- If you do, let me know.. I'd wanna read about your take on the topic :)

    @Zeba- that's pretty much the way I see it and thanks for dropping by! :)

    @Rachana- thank you :)

    @Supernick- I'm glad you liked it da... So do you have a take on this?

    @the life-a-holic- all I can manage is this- :)

    @Love- I think as time passes, people start turnign their faces to this harsh reality, but sometimes, I wonder what else can they do! Whatever you said, pretty much sums it up! :)

    @The BluntBlogger- aah thank you love .. read your post- DOnate Kashmir... COuldn't agree mre :)

    @Red-I see them all the time.. But their innocence is something I fail to notice. I see pain sometimes, but other times it just gives me a very jobless feel.. Thank you :)

    @Akila- Awww I love you babe... Thank you so much :D... aww :)

    @Suvaiba- yayieee you're back...so happy to see you girl... thank god these exams are over...blog soon :D .. oh and thank you for the wishes and d vrath *blush* ;) .. thanks a ton.. and aah all you need to do is go to your blog post settings.. edit the comments section, where you see "comments"... key in whatever you want to see there :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever noticed that when the whole world complains about unemployment, there is less talk about unemployment in our country? Because everybody can find some employment or the other. So when people beg they dont always do it because they dont have a choice. The people always have a choice in our country. It is this thought that makes adults show a cold face to people who beg :)

    But your post was very heart warming post :)

    Love,
    The Narcissist

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stolen innocence... :(
    The kids of this gen are so head strong ( especially the ones in my neighbouhood! )
    oh man! :(
    Beautiful post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Viya- I know! I don't like the kids these days, except a selected few.. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete