November 24, 2011

Guest Post: DISCOVER YOURSELF


This wonderful piece of writing has been written by none other than our very own PhilO .. Oh now c'mon who doesn't know her?? If you tell me you don't, My reaction would be - :O .. GO NOW! Check her out! She is an adorable chic with her own style and own way of doing things. Absolutely humble and loving. She is one girl, you don't wanna miss!

She is an amazing story-teller and has a knack of keeping the readers engrossed in her tales. Her stories always leave me thinking. And well with this post, she managed to get me thinking again.. 

Thank you PhilO .. I love you! :D


**************

The day they announced about the dance competition, I knew that it was my only chance!

All through the tenth grade, I was a backbencher, a laughing stock.
I was one of those girls whom the others find weird, and who has no friends. The students of my class made me feel like an outcast, while for the teachers, I barely existed. I had soon started believing that I was good for nothing.


When I told my sister about how lost I felt, she told me to do something that would help me relax and feel good.

And so I did. Behind the locked doors of my room, the instrumental music and the tabla beats got my feet tapping.

The steps came automatically to me, and when I danced, I forgot about everything else. The music took me on a journey of its own. I danced only to feel good. I didn’t care if I was good at it or not. But when my mother watched me dance one day, she was in for a loss of words!

I then started to dance in front of the mirror. I tuned my expressions and my fingers started making shapes of their own. The more I danced, the better I felt. I no longer cared about what the others thought of me.

And then, the day came.
A dance competition in school…
I was very nervous, but I somehow managed to pick up the courage to sign my name in.

When my parents heard about it, they were overjoyed. I practiced for the competition and went with the flow. But deep down, I was scared. I didn’t know how I would face the crowd. I didn’t want to get humiliated once again either.
           
The day finally arrived.

I stood behind the stage with my fingers crossed, while my ears were trying to shut the voices of the other students. They laughed at me. They said cruel things… Said that I was doing an Indian dance because I was nothing but a ‘Desi Bitch’

When it was my turn to come up on the stage, a girl tried to trip me. I somehow managed to keep my balance, and while my heart was racing, I forced a smile on my face. Folding my hands, I bowed down to the audience, and then, the music started…


My feet took a rhythm of their own and my hands started to move with the flow. The audience I could no longer see, and the music was all around me. The nervousness had vanished and I was in a world of my own.

I only stopped when I saw the audience on their feet, clapping for me.
Yes, there was applause for me! I had managed to steal the stage…


And, when I won the competition, I could not believe it!
I had finally done it. I was never worthless.

**************

We all have it within us. It is there deep inside. Pick it up, unfold it and set it free. All of us have something to be proud of. We are all special in our own ways. All you have to do is, to discover yourself. Find your treasure and treasure it forever.

2 comments:

  1. #PHILO- aye haye i love this :) dance its so therapeutic and you are this awesome blossom girly who sits at the back and laughs :P no no no i can't imagine you that way. :)
    *whistling whistling- i know how to whistle okay?? *

    #CS- my confused little girl, how are you?? and the exams ..! :))
    tc and all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MSM- I absolutely love the story. Brings out the simple realities of life na? :)

    @Suvaiba- I'm fine dear. Papers were bad except the last 2 :(

    ReplyDelete