November 3, 2011

Justice For Keenan And Reuben

Waking up to news like this, isn't really a good start. 



I mean what did the guys do to deserve such a fate? Stand up for the women? Stand up for the injustice that was being done?  Stand up to support the right? Or, was it because they decided to voice their opinion against these shameless goons? 

Mark Twain once wrote, "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare."
It's disheartening that the onlookers didn't have either.

What has our society come to? The news says there were witnesses, but none came forward. They decided to just stand there and do nothing about it. I do understand, people are scared, and think about the consequences, but maybe if they'd stepped forward, even one, the numbers would've increased and the lives of the two would have been saved. 

There are reports that the 21 accused in the murder case will be out of their police custody on Thursday. There are scarce chances of them going to jail as they are apparently backed by local politicians. For me the real culprits are those people who kept on watching the ongoings on that night, and did nothing about it. Hope they had a good sleep!

It is strange that people can have protests and candle-light march when they feel cheated by rickshaw-walla’s tampered meter. For that matter no need to leave your home. Stay in your safe heavens and press the ‘Like’ button of the ‘Anti-rickshaw drivers protest’ campaign on Face Book. Why should you care for a certain Santos or a Fernandes being slaughtered by thugs, right?

(Priyanka with Keenan)
It's sad to know that the Police, the very people, who are responsible for our safety, do not have the time or the necessary strategies to help the citizens. Priyanka, girlfriend of Keenan, says that she cried for help several times but no one came forward. She'd called 100 repeatedly, but there was no answer. And when the cops were asked about this, they said "We have only 30 operators for 20,000 calls per day. We are 'in the process' of converting from analog to digital." Is that even an answer? STOP trying to run away from your carelessness.  I'm just glad that she's safe from the clutches of those pathetic men.

It's really sad what happened. I can't even imagine what their family must be going through I'm proud of these guys, they were really so brave! And I'm sure their parents must be proud of them too. I hope Keenan and Reuben get justice and those fucking morons get jailed for life. Although, in my opinion, they should be hanged!

Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandes, I am sure you are in a much, much better place. It wasn’t your fault. You did your job, and did it well. It’s just that you were living in a city that is prone to giving excuses – “May be they shouldn’t have ventured out in the night. Why can’t they stay at home during such odd hours? Being out with a girl isn’t safe in the night!” The city with the "never-say-die" attitude, has died.

Honestly, such things can happen with anyone. So it's time people started fighting against such acts, because keeping mum is only going to further their motives and give them more confidence to carry on with their heinous acts. I have nothing more to say.

R.I.P. Keenan and Reuben! God bless your souls.

11 comments:

  1. A very shocking, but not new story. Actually lost for words. I wonder how the people who had just stood there seeing those two being stabbed would ever sleep peacefully. Wouldn't they be awakened by the cries of those two? Of Priyanka?
    May God bless their souls and give courage to their friends and family members. And I agree they should be hanged, or rather let to die in ultimate pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! HAW.
    Sheesh. Is really pathetic seeing how low the society can stoop to. Saaad :/ RIP Priyanka and Reuben. People will go on blaming them, but they stood up and were hurt. Its so sad to see the state of our society. :/ aargh

    I am loving your posts. They've become so much more mature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deepthi- It happens all the time. It's pathetic. People are just too selfish or I think they feel the procedures if involved, would lead to trouble, so they stay away from things. It's crazy!

    @Sonshu- Umm Priyanka is ALIVE.. Keenan and Reuben aint. She is safe and nothing's wrong with her. And yes, they've done their job and done it well.. Thanks dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not the first time that the public has kept quiet. Every time something like this happens, the public is the spectator. The incidents happen, hundreds of people watch as if it is a movie scene. No one says a word, nobody steps forward to help, but when it comes to saying they shout, they scream and they protest. The world is full of pretentious people.
    This post of yours gave me goosebumps. I did not know about them.
    RIP Keenan and Fernandes. I hope justice prevails.
    You write so well. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They ARE in a better place, for anywhere is better than crime-ridden India. I'm a patriot to the 't' don't get me wrong but us Indians are first class assholes when it comes to justice, no doubt about that:(
    Such young lives, what a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its's mostly the consequences that lead to a silent mouth. But I still wonder how they can sleep peacefully when they know they could have probably saved a life!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anu- I wish people wouldn't turn a deaf ears to people's screams and rather than being a mute spectator, would do something about it. Btw thank you love :)

    @PeeVee- I think I agree with you. but then again, I have seen people who come forward to help, but they are a rare kind. maybe among the 1%.

    @Deepthi- People are selfish, maybe it would bother them for a day or two, but they'll get over it. I'm sure..hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could read the anger and helplessness in the post. When I read the news I too thought, why did the onlookers not help?
    I had no answer. But when I was reading your post, it struck me, if the onlookers would have barged in, may be there would have been more blood shed, may be!

    The fact that goons have political backing is perhaps because the man in questions called his gang and killed the two innocent boys....I feel bad for the girl who would suffer for a very long time and the families who have lost their sons for standing for a woman.

    Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chintan- I get your point. But maybe had the people done something, the goons would've gone. Just the way I see it. And it's really sad for the family and the girl. I hope God gives them the courage to face the hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Came here for the first time. U r so rightl i have the same questions.. http://rikkiiz.blogspot.com/2011/11/shame-on-onlookers.html

    ReplyDelete